April 18, 2015

Sarah Wittick is ... seeking employment

It's now 6 months since I completed my degree in Public Health at La Trobe University. I aced the course - finishing with a High Distinction average grade, a scholarship for academic excellence, and my lecturers standing behind me as willing referees, yet employment in this field is still elusive.

In the past 6 months, I was shortlisted for one position, (prior to interviews) and interviewed for another. In feedback from the interview, I was told that my application and interview were excellent, but another candidate had more experience. 

Unfortunately, this seems to continuously be the problem - in a profession devoid of graduate specific jobs - and despite the two additional work experience placements I did voluntarily alongside my degree - one in Local Government, and another for a non-for profit community organisation. 

I know from my studies that having gainful employment is key to happiness and good mental health, and while I love my retail job and the amazing people I work with, it breaks my heart to go to work each day and upsell customers on additional pairs of socks, when I know that I should be upselling the community on better health! 


I am applying for an average of one-two positions a week, though many ask for qualifications and experience I do not have- and will not have until I am given an opportunity to develop -such as experience with database software, experience coordinating volunteers, minimum seven years experience, etc. I have now decided to take the application process into my own hands and put myself out there instead of waiting for positions to become available to showcase my talents.

I am passionate, hard working, personable, have a good understanding of the theoretical underpinnings of public health issues and I inherently know that I will make an excellent employee for whoever takes a chance on a graduate student. 

Which is why I began this blog. I plan to build this blog into a journey of my experiences in seeking employment in the Health Promotion/Public Health/Community Development field - and turn this into a social media campaign!


No comments:

Post a Comment